Saturday, January 20, 2007

A Change of Discussion

In an effort to broaden the horizons of the Dude Blog, I am now changing the topic from mildly amusing Dallas insults by the Hyperbole to great literature. Next semester, which begins in three days, I will be teaching American Lit to a class with a wide range of abilities. I have never taught this class and have not decided what to read with them. So I ask the dudes, what short stories and/or short books did you enjoy in your youth that might make for some engaging lessons? And I promise once we finish this brief discussion we can go back to the ongoing Mavs-Rockets duel. Also, because the Mavs are clearly superior to the Rockets, I use the term duel loosely.

4 comments:

Head Dude said...

I like to see the new nickname perpetuated, so much so that when I hopefully go to my parents' house tomorrow, I'll look at my bookshelf. I know there were a few from high school, and from Victor Strandberg's Duke class, that I loved. How "short" do you mean by short story? To me, that means 50-100 pages, but to rural North Carolinians, that could mean 10-12 pages.

vwz said...

Steinbeck's "The Pearl" and "Cannery Row" are good ones. O'Henry's "Gift of the Magi" is solid. Of course, if I were teaching American lit, I'd make my kids read Al Franken, Michael Moore and Howard Zinn. Then I'd get fired

ThadisRad said...

Actually, if I could find a humorous Republican (does such a thing exist?) writer, I could create an interesting lesson on opinion pieces comparing said humorous Republican and Franken. I would want to use both sides b/c, to steal a phrase, I am fair and balanced.

The Franchise said...

I'm currently reading "One Fish, Two Fish" to Beth. That's a quality short story!