Monday, January 01, 2007

Dude Hall of Fame Inductee: John Hudek

When someone mentions the Houston Astros of the 1990s, people generally think of 2 names: Jeff Bagwell and Craig Biggio. But not Head Dude. Say the Astros to him, and he'll immediately think: Scott Hudek. Or more accurately John Hudek.

One could only wonder how Hudek became an object of fascination for Head Dude. But nevertheless he did. Perhaps it was because the mid 90s Texas Rangers were forced to turn their late game leads over to closing "stalwarts" Jeff Russell and Mike Henneman. Perhaps he casted a jealous glance at Hudek's stellar 1994 rookie season, when he began the season in the minors but capped it off with an All-Star Game appearance and a second place finish in the Rookie of the Year balloting.

The last laugh is definitely on Head Dude, however, as not only has Hudek earned a selection into the Dude Committee Hall of Fame on the strength of his providing ammunition to endless hours of the Astros-Rangers debate, but he has also started his own baseball camp down here in the Houston suburbs. Perhaps in Houston, circa 2020, during DudeMania XXXIV, the Dudes: Next Generation can frolic on the fields, under the watchful eye of Dude Committee Hall of Fame Inductee: John Hudek.

6 comments:

Head Dude said...

Wow, I had no idea until I just looked at his stats that he had just 10 career wins and 29 saves. That's not even Ed Correa territory, much less Jose Guzman or Paul Kilgus. How did I become so fixated on such a fleeting bastion of mediocrity? And how did that fixation lead him to selection into the Committee Hall of Fame? I'm not sure I want to know the answers to those questions.

ThadisRad said...

I don't understand a world where Hudek is in the Hall, and "Joe" is not. Truly an outrage.

I also don't understand a world where Houston knocks off Indy, wins two in a row, and the Cowboys lose to the Lions, and Weitao says nothing at all. Where is Can of Smack?

Head Dude said...

Let there be little doubt that the push for next year's election of "Joe" will be an assault not seen since the fateful days at Tiannemen Square.

Let there also be little doubt that Weitao chose to unleash the smack directly -- I was at Will Smith's lovely new movie during the second half yesterday, and when I saw I had a voice mail from Weitao, I knew the final outcome.

ThadisRad said...

Yes, when your team is down and out, you can always count on the dude... I feel oddly better knowing this. But man, he's such a jerk.

vwz said...

One of my favorite moments was during Game 7 of the 2003 ALCS between the Yankees and the Red Sox. I'm pretty sure that, as Aaron Boone's blast off Tim Wakefield was still in the air, I called the Undude. Sadly, he did not pick up the phone so I had to leave a message.

Piuta said...

Good post.