Thursday, April 12, 2007

Stars-Canucks Wage Four-OT Thriller in Front of TV Audience of Hundreds

What a game, apparently. As Head Dude hasn't checked in here at DudeSpin today, I can only guess that he is physically and emotionally drained by the Dallas Stars falling 5-4 to the Vancouver Canucks in four OTs last night. I can verify that this game actually took place, because as one of about 0.5 percent of Americans who gets Versus, I was watching, though I fell asleep long before twin brothers Daniel and Henrik Sedin teamed up to end the marathon.

Since the goal of DudeSpin is to educate as well as entertain and we don't talk much hockey, here's a name to remember: Canucks goalie Roberto Luongo. Stuck with the sorry Florida Panthers for the first years of his career, Luongo played in his first playoff game last night and merely made 72 saves to get the win. Yes, the Stars set a modern record with 76 shots on goal and lost, which can't make Head Dude too pleased.

4 comments:

The Dude said...

It seems that it's hard for the Stars to win without cheating... Perhaps they could have scored on Luongo if they were allowed to skate into the crease

Head Dude said...

Ignoring the dude's tired attempts to bash a city that has actually won more than two championships in its history, I'll express my doubts about Luongo. While I admittedly went to sleep after the second period, from what I gather the Stars didn't come away in awe of Luongo at the end. Then again, they weren't in awe of Giguere and Aebischer the last two years when those dudes knocked them out of hte playoffs.

The Franchise said...

Unless Vezina returned from the grave to protect the net, I wouldn't expect the Stars to be in awe of any goalie they face! Still, since Dallas was such a low-scoring team this year, it has to be somewhat disheartening to score four and lose.

I'm excited for the Red Wings to take the ice tonight. The way this season has gone, they could lose first round or make it all the way to the finals and nothing would surprise me...

The Franchise said...

I'd also be remiss if I didn't mention that the one thing that might make The Dude care about the NHL playoffs happened last night: Teemu Selanne scoring a goal for the Ducks.