Sunday, July 29, 2007

Better Know a Book: Freakonomics


Thankfully, a friend was thoughtful enough to send this book to me not too long ago. This eye-opener, told through the lense of unconvention U of Chicago economic Steven Levitt, explored some ordinary phenomenon in a very extraordinary way. Sure, some of Levitt's conclusions will bring about a "no duh" reaction from the dudes, i.e., people sometime cheat and take advantage of other people. But some of his conclusions are breathtakingly out of left field and provokes much thought and discussion.
Of course, economics as a field is ordinarily so boring that I can't even stand listening to Jon Huntley explain its finer points, but Levitt and Dubner's gift is to be able to explain economic phenomena in such a easy-to-understand and politically-neutral manner. For that reason, the book reads so much more like a story than a treatise. And after getting through the drudgery of Assault on Reason, this book was a welcome change of pace.

4 comments:

ThadisRad said...

I'm surprised at you, Dude. This book was getting headlines nearly a full year ago--I think you're a little late to the party. And once again I will be the voice of the common man: I have not spent the last two days reading some econ book, but like the rest of America, I have been dutifully reading the final installment of Harry Potter. Us nerdy white guys need to stick together.

Head Dude said...

Yeah, I actually got that in late 2005 or early 2006, and enjoyed it well enough, but I think Undude's review of Harry Potter will be more topical.

The Dude said...

What dorks read Harry Potter?

The Franchise said...

Tons of dorks read Harry Potter! Wait, that's not what you meant, it it?