Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Can This Man Make Undude Care About the NBA Again?


Quite possible the most self-explanatory DudeSpin post of all time! Undude has been silent during all of the NBA talk since this blog launched, probably because the Celtics were, in a word, woeful.

Now, the arrival of the man pictured here may make Undude follow the NBA. Three or four years ago, if you would have put Paul Pierce, Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett on the same squad, I would have told you to size them for championship rings post haste. Now? Not so much, but in the still pretty weak East, Boston fans have to be thinking NBA Finals or bust (assuming good health, that is). That's a big change in thinking from just two months ago.

How about it Undude? Are you back on the roller coaster ride that has been the Celtics' off-season?

7 comments:

ThadisRad said...

The answer is no. I have been an NCAA man all my life (inherited from Dad, who grew up in Atlanta cheering the ACC), and my location on Tobacco Road only makes that tie stronger.

The fact is, I might have enjoyed watching some young studs come together for the Cs, but I have no desire at all to watch two rented stars past their prime succeed in a wholly pathetic conference.

Head Dude said...

Wow, strong words! The last time we saw a team try to put together a group of over-the-hill stars was the Rockets addition of Barkley and Drexler, and that gambit put them two wins short of reaching the Finals. I'm sure Celtics fans would take that for next year, though I have my doubts about their depth behind the Big 3. And isn't it circumspect that McHale got this done?

The Dude said...

I'm a Celtics fan!!! I love Garnett and Jesus Shuttlesworth.... This trade's got me excited about the Celtics next season... I cannot say it more clearly: I love this game!!

The Franchise said...

I had no doubt The Dude loved this move. Besides Bill Simmons, The Dude is probably the NBA's biggest fan.

I'm also loving the idea of Garnett as a Celtic, but until the whole "ref fixing the biggest playoff game of the season" thing gets worked out, the NBA still seems somewhat suspect to me. Does this not just make that suspicious feeling worse?

Head Dude said...

It's awfully convenient, that's for sure. In what other professional league can one of the 2 or 3 worst teams make a trade and instantly become a favorite in their conference?
Of course, I guess the answer may be, in what other league is one of the conferences so incrdibly weak.

The Dude said...

Well Head Dude, in response, the Dallas Cowboys did finish 1-15, make a trade with Herschel Walker, and then win a bunch of Super Bowls. So the answer would be: the NFL.

Head Dude said...

Yeah Dude, but the Cowboys went from 1-15 to 7-9 to 11-5 to 13-3 and the Super Bowl, so it took four years and also having some dudes with the last names of Aikman, Irvin, Johnston, Haley, etc. The Celtics are looking to do the same with one offseason.