Thursday, October 11, 2007

Duel in Dallas -- Overhyped?

Though we all have rooting interests in this one, can we all agree that something about the media coverage for Sunday's game feels a tad bit over the top? The whole "Duel in Dallas" moniker seems to be universally in place, whereas if any of a number of plays had gone wrong in the last two minutes this past Monday, all of this would have been for naught. I recognize that this is only the fifth time 5-0 teams have ever met, and I recognize that the game pits the best team of this decade against what many consider the most glamorous NFL franchise, but maybe it's the part of me still not entirely sold on how good the Cowboys are and the acknowledgment that this is a nice game for the Patriots, but they'll probably look to the game against the Colts in a few weeks with more anticipation, when both may still be undefeated. As Troy Aikman said on his radio show this morning, interconference regular season games usually aren't as big of a deal to the players. That's not to say I'm not excited about the game, because let's face it, the Cowboys haven't had this big of a game in years, but I guess I look at it, and realize that a loss to a nonconference opponent means very little, especially in the NFC, and just figure they can lose this one, beat the Vikings next week, and head into a bye week sitting pretty at 6-1.

12 comments:

The Dude said...

Do I sense some backing off from Head Dude???

Remember, Back Romo, or Back Off.

I will be wearing my Cowboys No. 9 and No. 81 jerseys, and cheering my heart out.

The Franchise said...

It is interesting though that the media is trying to have it both ways - that it's a huge game, but also that they expect the Pats to win big. You can't have it both ways!

After the Monday night game and Stanford beating USC, I'm starting to believe anything is possible on the football field. It's a gigantic win if the 'Boys pull it off, but like Head Dude said, it won't be the end of the world if they lose.

ThadisRad said...

There really is a lot of backing off going on here.

I'm also confused about the dude becoming a cowboys fan. I mean, I know fantasy football completely taints him, but the Dude I knew was always the first with a good Cowboys joke.

The Dude said...

I don't think it taints my allegiances at all - I'm an unabashed fan of my fantasy football team.

Head Dude said...

Yeah, I must confess to the same confusion. There used to be nothing that drew the Dude's ire more than the Cowboys, and now suddenly he's President of the fan club, for fantasy reasons or not.
And I certainly haven't backed off Romo. Even when he threw the fifth INT, and a Bills CB dropped the sixth, I was still laughing about it more than being disgusted.
What's there not to like about Romo? He's about to get a $20 million signing bonus and yet you get the feeling he'll never forget that a few years ago he was on the scout team, and if not for Quincy Carter being an idiot, likely would've been released.

Head Dude said...

And I think Tylwalk and I share the same feelings on the Cowboys. I marvel at the 5-0 start, marvel at the prospects of advancing deep in the playoffs, and yet feel about like I did in '92 when the Cowboys rolled through the regular season and entered the playoffs as a favorite to play the 49ers in the NFC title game -- excited, kind of confident, and yet in the back of my mind thinking they could still easily lose in the first round (or in this case, end up only a 10-win team).
And with that analogy, I'm not saying I suspect the start of another dynasty, just saying it's still too soon to be convinced we have an NFC champion on our hands.

ThadisRad said...

Do NFC championships even count anymore?

The Dude said...

Look, I'd rather win an NFC championship with Tony Romo, than win a Super Bowl with a cheating Hoodie. Better to lose with integrity, than to win by uncouth means.

Head Dude said...

Hear, hear, Bizarro Dude.

ThadisRad said...

Dude, I'm pretty sure the Cowboys win because all their coordinators are on the juice.

And Dude, this love affair with the Cowboys must stop! I feel like my sense of balance is all off.

The Franchise said...

Oh, I'm not backing off. In fact, I'm cramming the Cowboys success in the face of any Eagles fans I can find around here, most of whom were convinced there was no need to play the NFC East schedule this year because they were going 5-1 in the division at worst...

But I am exercising caution, because...

1)There are 12 games yet to be played.
2)We're one Romo injury away from having Brad Johnson at the helm!
3)T.O. is one more "3 catches for 33 yards" game away from having a meltdown.
4)Wade Phillips is prominently involved...

The Franchise said...

Whoops, only 11 games left to be played. Part of my brain still hasn't accepted that the 'Boys pulled out the Bills game!