Monday, July 07, 2008

Still a Champion


As I pedaled away on the elliptical at the YMCA this afternoon, watching the greatest tennis match since Agassi-Baghdatis in the 06 US Open (this one, given the circumstances and the competitors, was obviously greater), it dawned on me that the biggest losera in America's apathy towards tennis in the absence of a dominant male player were the American themselves. Through the rain and the gloam of a summer London afternoon, Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer simply dazzled. Despite the outcome, Nadal said it best in his post-match interview - Federer is the greatest in history, and I hope that this isn't so much a changing of a guard as it is one of the many climatic moments in the greatest athletics rivalry in our generation.
Thank you Rafa, Thank you Roger; and we look forward to an encore in New York.

4 comments:

The Franchise said...

Trying, trying... nope, I still don't care about tennis!

The Dude said...

then you're obviously a "losera"

The Franchise said...

The biggest "losera" according to your posta!

Head Dude said...

It was awesome, and I just wish the approach of dusk hadn't gotten in the way at the end. I'm eager to see Federer break Sampras' record of 14 slams, and this one was a big setback. I do think broadcasters are too quick to make hyperbolic declarations about events being the best ever, and I thought Agassi-Blake was on par in some ways, though no question the quality of this match was as good as you can get.