Monday, October 06, 2008

A Second Open Letter to the Dude

Dear Dude,

On Saturday afternoon, just after the end of the Duke game, with disappointment still in the air, my cell phone lit up, and I turned to see an unfamiliar 312 number on the caller id. When I picked it up, I was pleased to hear that it was Tara with Ohio for Obama on the phone, calling to confirm my participation in Voter Protection on Election Day.

I of course said I was looking forward to it, and put me wherever you need to in Cuyahoga County. Tara then asked if I knew any friends who could join, since they're still very shorthanded in staffing lawyers in Ohio. I told Tara that actually I have a good college friend who had Obama as a law-school professor for goodness sakes but I can't seem to convince to join me. She said why would a fellow like that choose to sit it out on Election Day instead of helping an old friend. I replied: "I'm afraid this friend became a corporate whore a few years ago and is using his summer vacation as an excuse as to why he can't spend a few days in Ohio."

"What a shame", Tara said. "At least you won't wake up on November 5th with any regrets, and I sure hope your friend doesn't either." "Amen," I replied. "Amen." Dude, don't wake up November 5 with regrets -- wake up with the knowledge you did everything you could to assure us of a win. Ohio needs you, your country needs you, the Committee needs you. Don't let us all down.

Sincerely,

H. Dude

6 comments:

Big Daddy said...

I'm not sure if the Franchise would agree but I have to say that I think THIS is "I'd say that this is without a doubt one of the top three posts in DudeSpin history!"

What say you dude?

ThadisRad said...

I don't speak for the Franchise, but I agree with you Big Daddy... Head Dude just significantly upped the ante.

Tonight Obama mentioned the teacher making $30,000 a year forced to tighten her belt (sexist!), but then passed on a perfect opportunity to discuss the six-digits I was allegedly promised in "Audacity." I hope you haven't lied to me, because that's not change I can believe in.

The Franchise said...

I agree, Head Dude really outdid himself with this one!

In slight defense of The Dude, let's all remember that he took a big chunk of days off to serve as DudeSpin's correspondent at the Beijing Games. Perhaps his firm is putting its foot down and actually making him do, you know, his job!

Then again, it could be that high-powered lawyers like Dude and Head Dude can take as many days off as they want...

Head Dude said...

Trust me, I used to spend my days like the Dude defending corporate America. They would never notice the Dude's absence for a few days. Even though they would prefer he not fight against their McCain-sponsored $200 billion tax cut.
Undude raises a good point about his six-figure salary...whatever happened to that Dude?
It seems the Dude is full of empty promises these days.

Big Daddy said...

Well it's not something as glorious as defending constitutional rights, but it looks like I might be doing some data entry for Team Obama here in NC. If I can find time to ensure Duke football plays well-enough so Dudspin can donate money AND do some data entry, can't the Dude find time to head out to Ohio.

What say you Dude???

I understand about the vacation thing being an issue, but can't you make up some "business" trip and bill it to the company or some client? Isn't that what you corporate lawyers do?

Head Dude said...

Let's be clear about one thing -- one of the nice perks about big law firms is you don't really have set vacation time. In other words, you're not given 2 or 3 or 4 weeks of vacation -- even "formal" policies are ignored. As long as you get your work done, that's all that matters.
So the Dude could work the weekend before or after and easily make up the two days.
The vacation excuse is what we in the business like to call a "red herring".